Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
At Conn Selmer, we believe music to be the great unifier that transcends cultural barriers and strengthens a diverse society. Indeed, we know that music from all places and people is fundamental to discussing topics too complex for language alone. The time for equality in America and around the world is now, and we believe that our journey can be fortified by leveraging the universal language of music.
As such, we believe it our responsibility to ensure broader and more equitable access to the highest quality musical experiences. To this end, we are working to lift marginalized communities and individuals by creating educational opportunities, performances, and interpersonal connections that give voice to underrepresented groups and bring a greater wealth of cultural richness into the global music world.
Our actions speak louder than any words we can offer – as such, below are detailed actions and plans to bring this vision to life.
Conn Selmer has formed its first ever Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee to advance an environment of belonging and inclusion in our workplace and to help foster a corporate culture defined by collaboration, engagement and mutual support and respect – where the perspectives and potential of all Conn Selmer team members are recognized and valued. Goals of the Committee include:
- Share and discuss the latest research on diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Promote and celebrate diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism through ideas on policy and programming
- Provide internal and external colleagues with a supportive space and the tools to learn about, discuss and ask questions about issues relating to diversity and inclusion at Conn Selmer
- Facilitate communication with and serve as a liaison between company management and our community on diversity and inclusion issues
- Collaborate with company leaders in the ongoing pursuit of evolving and growing as an inclusive and diverse workplace
- Create accountability for the implementation of the company’s diversity and inclusion goals
External Actions for Education
The Conn-Selmer Division of Education is an industry leader, providing continuing education programs, services, and advocacy for music education around the globe. To promote greater equity in the music world, we have taken several tangible steps, including:
- Presenting Sponsor of the HBCU – National Band and Orchestra Director’s Annual Consortium
- Educational Partner with the Annual National Battle of the Bands held in Houston, TX
- Awarded 15 Scholarships (5 in-person and 10 virtually) to HBCU students to attend Conn Selmer Institute every June – Co-sponsored by National Association of Music Merchants
- Awarded 15 Scholarships (5 in-person and 10 virtually) to Mariachi Music educators to assist in the advancement of Mariachi Music Education in the United States
- Annual internship program for two college students in partnership with HBCUs to open the musical instrument industry to a wider range of students
- Actively increasing the number Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) available to our roster of educational clinicians
- Educational partner with HBCU Culture Legacy Foundation annually
- Assisted with the establishment of Traditional Style Marching Competitions in partnership with US Bands.
- Annual sponsor and partner of the Minority Band Directors National Association
- Annual sponsor of the Mariachi National Competition held in Orange County, CA every August in collaboration with Maestro Jose Hernandez
- Corporate Educational Partner with the Roland Parish Band Exhibition celebrating Traditional Style Bands in Texas
- Founded the HBCU Collective by Conn Selmer Division of Education in 2021
- Sponsor and partner of United Sound. United Sound is a 501C3 non-profit organization providing music education to students with special needs.
External Actions for our Artists and Brands
We will continue to amplify marginalized or underrepresented artists in our industry, with a focus towards people of color (BIPOC), people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+, and womxn. Utilizing our platform of iconic global brands, we will promote those artists who best represent today’s diverse and inclusive world focused on artistic innovation, entrepreneurship, and of course, musical excellence.
We thank everyone who has offered thoughts, feedback, and pushed us to become our best selves. We may make mistakes along the way and want to be held accountable for our actions. We are open to engaging in dialogue and welcome your feedback on our collective journey to make a real and lasting difference.
President & CEO
Conn Selmer, Inc.